Bugs and Issues

Re: Bugs and Issues

Postby Mazz on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 am

I am just starting to play with things but a quick thing I just noticed is that when I re-size my window by dragging with the mouse or going full screen, the mouse pointer for the pen tool will not track 1to1 with my pen tool pointer on the grid.

When I move the mouse up and down along the center of the window, the 2 will be together but as I move to the left and right, the movement of the tool slower then the tool.

if I re size the window to be really thin, the left/right movement will be faster then my mouse movement.

I can fix the problem by seizing the window in a perfect square.

This does not affect my ability to interact with other UI elements or to select things in the scene.

I am using
win7 32bit
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Moviesandbox-28692ef
Mazz

Postby fiezi on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:35 am

Hey hey,

yes, I am aware of that. It used to be horribly off, and i got it to be less horribly off now, but it's one of the more puzzling bugs I am dealing with. I will investigate more next week and I added it to the Bugs list. Thanks for the feedback!

f
fiezi
Site Admin

Postby fiezi on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:05 am

I fixed it! I was miscalculating the aspect ratios. Brush is now firmly married to the cursor. This will go in the nightly build later.
fiezi
Site Admin

Postby fiezi on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:25 am

A new Video-Tutorial is up now, giving you a quick introduction to the new interface. You can find it on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/33566932

There's also more Interface documentation on the Wiki here:

http://wiki.moviesandbox.net/index.php?title=Interface_Tutorial

Also, a good way to download the new nightlies is from the GitHub Tag Tab.
The current nightly build used for the Tutorials is 12.13.

Get it here!
fiezi
Site Admin

UI nutz out after resize and mesh/prim placement

Postby Mazz on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:36 am

I had some weirdness happen. The best way to explain is to go step by step. This problem seems to happen after I re-size the window or maximize the screen. I have recreated the icon problem but not the teapot problem.

ver 12.13

I placed a cube primitive and it placed the primitive plus a teapot which was something I selected earlier but did not place.
The flow was:
I selected a mesh cube and placed it in the scene.
I selected the teapot and changed my mind.
I looked around the UI a bit. (don't remember exactly what I did)
I placed a character.
went into play mode and then out.
I tried to place the cube primitive and the teapot appeared in the same location
the UI elements for the character and cube also moved to the scene area and maintained functionality. (clicking them makes cubes or characters appear at their location)

trying to use anything makes the icon move to the work area.

------
to recreate the error:
re-size the window wide or full screen
place a primitive and the icon moveing should happen

-as much as I try I can't make the double mesh/prim load thing happen again.
Mazz

Glitchy WASD

Postby Mazz on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:47 am

This is just a little thing and I don't even know if it's worth fixing for the first release. While I position my view with the WASD keys and mouse look I find I have to let go and repress direction keys a bunch. "a bunch" is the best way to describe it because it's not a whole lot but it's enough that I notice it.

It's something I can get used to but I wanted to mention it just in case it's an easy fix you run across while looking at something else. If not, I think this is something you should re-visit in the future sometime between 1.1 and 1.4
Mazz

Grid viability and usability

Postby Mazz on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:19 am

As I draw on the grid with more complex forms I am finding that I want to see through the grid to check my work after a few strokes. I think a hotkey for grid viability might be a necessity for my workflow.

This is actually a multi part request.

First I would like to see "grid off" as an addition to the X,Y,Z orientation when I press the "." key. I see myself drawing an object, then wanting the grid out of the way quickly so I can position it and then quickly have it back so I can continue working. While I can move the grid out of the way; this will become more difficult with more complex scenes. Also while drawing, I would like to turn it off for a second to peek at what I have done and then pop it back on.

My second request might be a bit out of scope for this release but it can be an important tool. I would like to have the grid in place with its drawing plain but not be visible at times. Maybe as a toggle or maybe it would automatically be invisible when I click to draw but come back. Maybe hotkeys to control the Alpha of the grid plain.

My third request is definitely out of scope for this release but something I hope you consider for the future. I would like to see in addition to the standard draw grid, a draw grid with a move and rotate tool. some forms I am making I make by drawing on the grid and then rotating the whole particle group to continue at an angle. It would be nice to be able to rotate the grid instead as I draw.

OK... I think that's all I have for tonight. I hope something I posted helped with something...
Mazz

Postby fiezi on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:29 am

Hey there,

thanks so much! I can make the Grid-Off thing happen for tonight's build. I will think of a good shortcut for that...

As for your other requests - the way moviesandbox works is that you can easily extend its functionality, so that you can control grid properties (like move or rotate) from external programs, or even from your android or iphone. It'll take me a bit to get around to do tutorials for that, but it's something that I will address, especially because I know that grid control can be something very effective if done right.

I will also think of good ways of rotating/moving the grid without navigating menus. Those are some superb suggestions!

I am investigating the interface bug right now...
fiezi
Site Admin

Postby fiezi on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:41 am

Interface:

Thanks so much for this one! I didn't update some number necessary for the buttons to remember their place after resizing.
Also, there was an old way of clicking on a primitive button, then clicking on the screen to place meshes (in addition to dragging and dropping) that I got rid of, because it is redundant and it interferes with selecting a mesh for drawing with it.
Long story short, I hope it should be fixed now and not happen again!

Movement:

I know exactly what you mean with pressing the buttons a bunch. Unfortunately, changing this thing it is quite involved, as it is part of the cross platform key-input and interface manager that I use, and I would have to program around that and become more OS specific.
It's on the plate for future releases though, as I know it is annoying!

Grid:

The hotkey for hiding/unhiding the grid (as of version 12.14) is 'h'!
Also: there's a list of hotkeys on the wiki here:
http://wiki.moviesandbox.net/index.php?title=Interface_Tutorial#Keyboard_command_list

12.14 will be up in a couple of hours. Thanks so much for all the feedback!
fiezi
Site Admin

Postby fiezi on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:31 am

and 12.14 is up now. please all update to the latest nightly release:

https://github.com/fiezi/Moviesandbox/tags
fiezi
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Moviesandbox Nightly Builds